Operation Mirror Image.
Chronology of Events
This reference supersedes any previously printed
handout, manual or report concerning the REF's mission directives on Operation Mirror
Image. Due to the electronic nature of this manual, the information herein contained will
be updated throughout the course of the mission.
Due to the large amount of information concerning the chronology of events before the
year 2040, it is suggested that you press here to another reference.
This contains information about all the events that came before. However, the following
additions are to be made:
- Due to the large amount of psychic energy released due to the combination of the
destruction of the Robotech Masters mothership and the release of the spores of the Flower
of Life, Ley Lines start becoming visible around the world. Armed forces around the world,
including the Armies of the Southern Cross, are unable to allocate manpower to realize a
formal investigation of this phenomenon. A couple of weeks later, a common pattern is
discovered: the Flower of Life does not grow near Ley Lines.
- As the Invid Regis and its forces leave our solar system, destroying a great deal of the
REF Jupiter Attack Group, a great deal of psychic energy is released. This causes Ley
Lines around the world to manifest themselves completely and Rifts to appear. Also, people
with some minor psychic potential discover their powers and learn that these can be
amplified when near or in a Ley Line.
These were unavailable in the past due to the unknown nature of the Ley Lines and Rifts
and the focus of resources and manpower in the battles mentioned in the above link.
From that moment on, the most relevant events are as follows:
- First contact with beings from another dimension is made. To the amazement of everyone,
a group of humans engaged in battle amongst themselves emerge from a Rift near Little
Rock, Arkansas. The group consisted of one man, latter to be identified as a magic user,
and a squad of soldiers or mercenaries. After a brief encounter with a group of freedom
fighters, both parties leave the area. The suits of armor of the soldiers are identified
later as part of the so-called Coalition States.
- The Sentinels Alliance becomes the ruling body of the Local Group. Their headquarters
are established in Tyrol.
- Since protoculture is not used anymore, power is now obtained from other sources, such
as cold fusion (for ships, mechas and vehicles), hydroelectric dams, wind and geothermal
- Psychic powers begin to manifest on a great deal of the population of planet Earth.
- The process of terraforming Earth is completed at around August.
- A world summit takes place and it is decided to create a new and improved United Earth
Government, lead by President Thomas N. Riquehoff and a 75-member parliament. At that
moment, Earth is invited to join the Sentinels Alliance. By an astounding 72 votes in
favor against 3, the UEG passes its first resolution, which is to become a member of the
- The Robotech Expeditionary Force becomes officially the military branch of the Sentinels
- A group of scientists, led by Dr. Harry Baker-Penn (Child of REF aces Jack Baker and
Karen Penn, a child prodigy), commence a science mission around the orbit of the Earth to
uncover if these Ley Lines or Rifts are also found in space.
- The process of terraforming Mars begins.
- Karbarran Space Works releases a new line of capital-sized spaceships. Among these are
the Hayes-class destroyer and the Aegis-class space cruiser.
- The frequency of encounters with entities coming through Rifts increases.
- Scientists identify and classify approximately 24 Rifts and 142 Ley Lines on the surface
of planet Earth and its orbits. For their locations, go here.
- The use of magic by a small number of inhabitants of Earth becomes notable.
- The first recorded scientific expedition through a Rift takes place in Cistierna, Spain.
A small team of scientists enter a Rift and find a location which contains a great deal of
minerals, both known and unknown to man. Scientists name this area GeoCache.
- Fantoma Orbiting Shipyards launches the Breetai-class Heavy Cruiser and the
Caduceus-class Medical Vessel.
- The Magic and Psionics Research Institute and Academy is founded on Tyrol. A great deal
of people, from all the Local Group, become involved in the research and investigation of
- Fragments of the E.B.S.I.S. rise again and establish themselves in a small state, known
as New Stalingrad. Unlike the previous E.B.S.I.S., they are fully cooperative with the
Sentinels Alliance, although they distance themselves from the rest of the new UEG.
- Villagers from around the area formerly known as Croatia commence to perform
inter-dimensional mining operations near Sisak.
- The Andromeda Expedition is debated by the Sentinels Parliament in Tyrol. Initially, the
house is divided between the Karbarrans, Spherisians and Praxians and the Garudans,
Perytonians and Haydonites. The Humans are also divided in the issue. After a long 38
hours of debate, the Andromeda Expedition Proposal is passed. Again, Admiral Lisa
Hayes-Hunter is selected to lead the mission.
- The Andromeda Expedition is launched. Its flagship is the SDF-6 Izumo, an Izumo-class
Battle Fortress. The fleet launches on a scientific mission, although it is prepared for
anything. A total of 450 vessels fold from an orbit on Earth towards Andromeda in order to
study the effects of the disappearance of protoculture from the known universe.
- An REF patrol encounters a group of giant robots passing a rift near Calling Lake in
Alberta, Canada. A battle ensues after the REF patrol is fired upon. The interdimensional
trespassers are pushed back into the Rift. An investigation of the incident indicated that
one of the trespassers was actually trigger happy, thinking that the patrol was threat.
- A new line of space carriers is launched, although from different companies. Peryton IV
Shipyards launches the Gloval-class Space Carrier. Karbarran Space Works comes out with
the Fokker-class Space Carrier. Both are quickly accepted by the REF.
- The Local Group Census estimates that 17% of the total population of the Local Group is
either a psychic or a magic user. This includes humans and XTs, except for the Haydonites,
which are already psychically gifted.
- The REF starts a new program to recruit people gifted with psionic and magic powers in
order to create two new military branches.
- An REF naval group on maneuvers 25 hours from Tyrol engages a Zentraedi Command Ship
(Queadol-Magdomilla) and two Zentraedi Destroyers (Thuverl Salan) which were still loyal
to the Robotech Masters. After a 5 hour battle, the Zentraedi turn tail and escape.
Unbeknowst to anyone, two Zentraedi shuttlecrafts were able to slip during the course of
the battle and enter the planet Fantoma.